Thursday, February 04, 2010

hypochondriac, am i?

I'm currently suffering from some kind of stiff neck problem (including shoulder and back pain). So I was kinda worried and spent almost 2 hours just now reading about neck, neck problems, neck pains and few more related matters. I traveled from site to site, from medical and health sites, medical practitioners to personal blogs of people who suffered from the symptoms that I am having now. Well, I gotta say that it is so me. I will usually loves to do some readings regarding any related health matter that occurred along my daily life, whether it is about myself or about others around me. It has become a habit or it must be a nature that I love to know about things because I need to know, at least just knowing what it is, is good enough. 

But it never made me a super knowing lots about health and medicine that I should go to a medical school or whatsoever. I have never scored good marks for my science papers like biology, physics, especially chemistry! Never able to find ways to have good chemistry with chemistry! Seriously. I have never at all can get along with my Mathematics and Additional Mathematics subjects during schools. So being a pure science student in a pure science's class have tortured me to the maximum level ever.

So back to the 'want to know' habit, as I've said that it is so me that I will have the urge to read or listen or want to know about the related matters that happened to me or people around me. Okay, call me paranoid that I have read lots and lots about ankle because I once believe that I have some kind of problem with my ankle that I keep having it sprained over and over again. So I need to get myself to know about it and find ways how can I overcome this matter until I finally decide that it maybe a post-traumatic effect due to past sports injuries. It's clearly been said that once we had our ankle sprained, it will usually never going to be the last because of we usually take advantage on sprained ankle's care and thought that it will recover soon and we can jump, walk and run again as usual. This is where we are wrong because a sprained ankle that have not completely recovered will easily get sprained again, again and over again. 

So I don't see any wrongs that I've read lots about ankle because I'm annoyed about having it sprained few times over and over again (not too frequent, but at least once in a year or two). So I really need to know about it. I need to know about my body or else who would care to know about it for me then? But don't get me wrong, I don't really read like doing research in-depth or very detail, it's just briefly bout it, the symptoms, causes, medications and what does others said about it. I will also usually read about how bad can it turn later, about the precautions and what ever else necessary. I guess, this habit is due to my uneasy feelings or laziness to meet doctors that I would prefer to do readings. But of course I am very aware that readings through books, journals and internet won't give exact prescriptions and solutions. It will still be best to see the doctor itself and have a two way communication session to fix the problems.

Well, besides ankle, some of the readers might still remember that I have an entry posted about canker sores. It also due to my own self experience on keep getting it over and over again that I really need to know about it. But I think that it's really good to know about it because I seriously never know that canker sores appeared due to stress which maybe due to menstrual, and I have never know at all that it is in our family genes (genetic factors). So I will never complain much and feeling so despair about it when it happen again. This one habit makes me feel much comfortable in overcoming matters like this and to cope with situations that related to health and body functions.

Furthermore this one habit helps me in understanding things that people been talking about, no matter what it is. At least I have little knowledge here and there and will never make me a completely blur person when it comes to placenta previa, endometriosis, bone fractured, cyst, thyroid, high blood preassure, stroke, slip disc and many more. Well I don't see any rational that being who I am made me a hypochondriac person. I wasn't that too concern to death that I will die soon with little canker sores in my mouth! I am just being concern and have this eagerness to know about things around. That's all.

*hypochondriac - hypochondriasis (or hypochondria, often referred to as health phobia) refers to an excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness. Usually people who suffered this will have obsessive precautions on their health - like being outdoor can brings harm to their health, they can easily gets Hiv, etc.

well, hey check this out!
You Are 24% Hypochondriac
While your physical health isn't always perfect, you don't freak out about it.
You know there's only so much you can do, and worrying doesn't change anything.